The Country Depot

Hey Mr. President, how many EV charging stations have you built, with the $7.5 Billion in the infrastructure bill.

Windwalker

Windwalker

CBS anchor tells Buttigieg that Trump is 'not wrong' about Biden administration struggling to implement electric vehicle agenda

The Biden administration has spent tens of billions of dollars on green energy, yet last year the U.S. and the world used record amounts of fossil fuels.

That would seem to be prima facie evidence that this "great transition" to renewable energy has so far been an expensive policy belly flop.

A case in point is the scandalous mismanagement of green energy implementation. Consider the $7.5 billion federal program stuck inside the 2021 infrastructure bill -- a law that Biden touts as one of his great achievements. That bill promised half a million EV charging stations installed all over the country.

Instead, there has been a grand total of -- drum roll, please -- "seven or eight installed." To be fair, that was through last month. They might be up to nine now.

Finally, why do we need the government to build EV charging stations? One hundred years ago, the government didn't build gas stations. They just magically sprouted up all over the roads that criss-cross America, because entrepreneurs responded to the demand. Two or three brothers would scrap together some cash, buy a small plot of land on I-66, build a service station with four to eight hoses connected to a tank, put up a tall sign posting the gas price. Drivers would pull in and fill 'er up.

What are your thoughts. Is this green dream of EVs working? Where has the money gone?

Laidback

One of my best friends is a courtesy driver for a local Ford dealership here, and he was saying the new vehicle lot is full of unsold electric cars and trucks.   In the latest news about such vehicles,  Ford is reportedly losing about $100,000 for every electric vehicle it produces.    Ford Is Reportedly Losing $100,000 Per EV Sold (motor1.com)

A new Ford Lightening truck costs on average near $70,000 here,  the batteries are warranted for 8 years, and after that if you  need to replace them (and you probably will ) it will cost near the original price of the truck.  In the US the cost of a total battery replacement is around $38,000,  while in Canada you're likely looking at over $60,000.   Would you spend $38,000 / $60,000 on an 8 yr old vehicle?.   There's going to be a lot of used vehicles in the wrecking yards,  some near new condition with the exception of needing a new battery pack.   Here's an interesting link with a good Youtube video on the subject. 

How much does it cost to replace the battery in an F-150 Lightning? | Ford Lightning Forum (lightningowners.com)

Windwalker

That was interesting. There will be nearly 0 trade in value as well, when you need or want another vehicle. Not many out there that want to buy a used EV out of warranty, and worry about the battery going bad, or it's having reduced capacity. Especially if the owners used the super chargers on them. They shorten the battery life even more. It was a pipe dream, we just aren't ready technology wise yet. 

Our dealers, in this area, can't get rid of them, especially the trucks. They are offering $25,000 to $30,000 of a new truck, imagine what their losses are on the inventory they have.

Cheyenne

Interesting. 

7 hours ago, Windwalker said:

"seven or eight installed.

Maybe I'm not on the same page; but I see what I think are charging station in a few areas just here in San Juan Capistrano.  Is a charging station the same as an EV station?  On a drive around in town, I see at least 9, usually 3 at each locale.

Windwalker

That's correct, Cheyenne. Tesla has several thousand, placed around. All paid for by Tesla. But, unless you have an adapter to hook your EV into their station, you can't charge at most of them. 

Cheyenne
1 hour ago, Windwalker said:

. But, unless you have an adapter to hook your EV into their station, you can't charge at most of them. 

Oh.  And, who supplies the adapter?  And is there a cost for it?

lightfootfan
5 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

Oh.  And, who supplies the adapter?  And is there a cost for it?

Probably an aftermarket option the EV owner buys.

Windwalker

The adapter to allow non-Tesla vehicles to charge at the Tesla stations are sold separately. They start around $140 to $259. Regular EVs can't user the supercharge function of Tesla charging stations. It only gets normal charging. Charging on your home charger (that costs a small fortune to install), for one hour, gives you 20 miles of range, but that would also be mostly flat roads with no extra power needed for hills or mountainous driving.

Here is some information on the adapters.

Choices
There are quite a few Tesla to J1772 adapter choices on the market today. We took a look at two popular brands; Lectron and TeslaTap. Both brands offer dongle-type adapters with a think cable connecting the Tesla side to the J1772 side. TeslaTap also offers a new type of Tesla to J1772 adapter, called the MINI, that eliminates the cable and is much more compact. 

Lectron's dongle-type adapter can deliver a maximum of 40-amps and is available in white or black for $149.99.

TeslaTap has the dongle-type adapter in 40-amp, 50-amp and 80-amp versions for $139.95, $169.95 and $239,95, respectfully. The just-released TeslaTap MINI is available in a 40-amp version for $199.95 and a 60-amp version for $259.95. The MINI doesn't offer any advantage in functionality; its value is in the small, sleek package that's more compact and easier to store. 

wildman

Um how much more CO2 is in the air? Gee as if my breathing is not bad enough as it is!

Always,

Wildman

lightfootfan
1 hour ago, wildman said:

Um how much more CO2 is in the air? Gee as if my breathing is not bad enough as it is!

Always,

Wildman

Plants and trees need CO2.  They use carbon dioxide from the air and water from the soil to make sugar and oxygen, which helps them grow.  Is this 'green movement' going to destroy farming and livestock?

wildman

Yup but how much is to much? Over indulgence of a good thing is not good I do believe. The plants and trees have been doing just fine for centuries I think.

Always,

Wildman

Windwalker

There was actually a time in earth's history, where there was too much oxygen. It caused a die-off of many micro organisms that were needed. 

The Great Oxidation Event (GOE) was a time about 2.4 billion years ago when the Earth's atmosphere first got a significant amount of oxygen. Before this, there was very little oxygen in the air. Tiny living things called cyanobacteria, which lived in the ocean, started to produce oxygen through a process called photosynthesis. Over millions of years, this oxygen built up and changed the Earth's atmosphere and environment. This event was crucial because it made it possible for more complex life forms to develop and thrive on Earth.

Was it a ME? (Mass Extinction)

Yes, the Great Oxidation Event did have some negative consequences, including a mass extinction event. Before the GOE, many microorganisms on Earth were adapted to live in environments without oxygen. When oxygen levels started to rise, it was toxic to these anaerobic (oxygen-avoiding) organisms. As a result, many of these life forms could not survive the new, oxygen-rich conditions and went extinct. This massive die-off of anaerobic organisms is considered one of the first major extinction events in Earth's history.

While it caused the extinction of many organisms, the GOE also paved the way for the evolution of new, more complex life forms that could utilize oxygen, ultimately leading to the diverse array of life we see today.

So I guess the greenies, are going to eventually kill the earth, by saving us. :D

-Ron  

wildman

No those who keep filling the atmosphere with C02, witch we can not use to breathe will be the ones to kill us.

Windwalker

I hate to point out the obvious, but plants need the CO2. Without enough, the plants will die off, and we will be starving, but the air will be crystal clean. That's what the great oxidation period was, too much oxygen for some reason. It killed off plants, and sea organisms. 

They need to leave earth alone, nature will right the ship if it gets canted too far. 

• Like 1
Cheyenne
30 minutes ago, Windwalker said:

They need to leave earth alone, nature will right the ship if it gets canted too far

Yup.  Folks need to watch the NOVA and PBS programs that show the earth and it's ages and changes over time. 

• Like 1
wildman

Yes plants need the C02 but us humans with breathing problems sure as heck do not. Your right man needs to leave the earth alone but I don't think that is currently the case.

Always,

Wildman