The Country Depot

Microsoft confirms Windows 11 24H2 turns on Device Encryption by default.

Windwalker

Device Encryption relies on Microsoft account or external USB

As Microsoft explains in its documentation, Device Encryption uses BitLocker to encrypt the data applied to all system drives. You must backup your BitLocker key to your Microsoft account or save it to an external USB disk. Without this, you cannot access your data.

Windows can request the BitLocker recovery key while resetting or reinstalling the operating Windows can request the BitLocker recovery key while resetting or reinstalling the operating system. However, procuring the recovery key can be challenging if the feature is enabled without the user’s approval. If you lose access to your Microsoft Account, you will also lose access to the PC. 

This, from what I understand, rolls out with the next update Windows 11 24H2  Perhaps in the fall of 2024.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2024/05/08/microsoft-confirms-windows-11-24h2-turns-on-device-encryption-by-default/

wildman

Perhaps another good reason to ditch Microsoft and install some distro of Linux. For me that distro is Linux Mint but there are others that may be better for some people. As I understand version 123 will be good until 2027 and my current 20.3 is good till 2025. Oh yup they are free and new versions of Mint is updateable and relatively easy to accomplish. I went from 20.2 to 20.3 with no problems what so ever. Also IMO Linux is a much safer system than any Microsoft.

Always,

Wildman

• Like 1
Cheyenne

Turn off the Automatic Device mentioned in your link?  I don't like doing any entry in the CMD screen.  I know it's the old DOS which I've worked with in the past.  But, IMHO, just one little error and the whole system can go bye-bye.  Only if you say ok. 

How to turn off automatic Device Encryption in Windows 11

During installation, you can disable Device Encryption using a Registry hack:

1. Press Shift + F10 to open the Command Prompt window. Type regedit and press Enter to launch Registry Editor.
  2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BitLocker subkey.
  3. Right-click the empty side and select the New > Dword (32-bit) Value option from the context menu.
  4. Name the value “PreventDeviceEncryption”.
  5. Set the value date to 1 and click on the OK button.
  6. Close the Registry Editor.

You can also create a bootable USB drive with Rufus. It can prepare a modified Windows 11 installation media to bypass system requirements and disable BitLocker.

Mine is:

image.png

• Thanks 1
lightfootfan

But how many people will do that?

• Like 1
Cheyenne

Seeing the specs from Ron's post and mine, I'm not sure I even "qualify"!

Windwalker

It is scary poking around the registry. In past years, I caused Window not to be able to boot. I'm glad I don't have a registry now. I'm doubly glad, that Linux isn't constantly coming up with something to “make” you have to do. It's all to boost PC sales, and licenses, until they can get around to rolling out their subscription based method. Where you will no longer have to buy a copy of the OS, just use it from Microsoft for a monthly fee. Like some Adobe products.

What ever you do, just make sure you protect that password if you are forced to encrypt. as they said, lose the password, and your computer is dead, unable to access anything. Hopefully, some brains will come up with a fix, for this crazy stuff.

7 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

Seeing the specs from Ron's post and mine, I'm not sure I even "qualify"!

I don't know about Michelle's laptop either. They keep changing specs needed. The last crazy thing that caused forced purchasing  a new machine, was that TPM nonsense, that was found to be faulty and hackable shortly after everyone purchased new machines. :D

I love my Linux. But my hats off to all of you that even know how to navigate Windows, and enjoy it. So you're doing great with your choice! 

Cheyenne

I'm just going to stay where I am.  Thanks.

Windwalker

Yes, stay with what you enjoy. That's what makes using a computer fun.