The Country Depot

From PCWorld - Two new Windows 11 notices

Cheyenne

Great Tips and new additions. For a company that hated Linux with a passion a few short years ago, they sure are adding the same featuers. It's good to see, as it will help Windows users get more out of their use. :chair

I'm sort of confused. If Windows 11 is reaching end of life and no support, what and when is the next version?

You may know more about this than I do Ron but I heard where Microsoft is using the same programing as Linux. I also kind of remember where Microsoft stated Windows10 would be the last version.

Always,

Wildman

14 hours ago, wildman said:

You may know more about this than I do Ron but I heard where Microsoft is using the same programing as Linux. I also kind of remember where Microsoft stated Windows10 would be the last version.

Always,

Wildman

They are implementing features that Linux has had for years. That makes some think it is coded on Linux, which it isn't.

They may both use snippets of similar code in some parts, but the base of each, is not the same. What most people were surprised to see after the rivalry between MS and Linux over the years, is that some Microsoft cloud Services run Linux servers, for reliability. While Microsoft has its own type of server software, it isn't as secure and reliable as Linux versions of server software. Mostly because Microsoft is proprietary, and only let their people see the code. Where Linux shares with many developers every day, that pour over the code looking for vulnerabilities or problems. 

I'm wondering about the “last version” thing as well. I foresee them at some point, just sending out entire updates with new features instead of partial features, that will be the precursor to subscription based OS, where you will pay a subscription to recieve automatic updates of features or major releases, instead of the free upgrades.

From what I gather and remember, Gates build windows originally on DOS, and then fine-tuned it to Q DOS which became their own version of the original free DOS. Then their finished product became the original Windows NT. Linux was  developed by Linus Torvalds as a totally different but “open” stand alone operating system.

This is the explanation I found that was easiest to understand. I'll be glad to try to answer any further questions, or find answers to questions.

Windows and Linux have different underlying operating system architectures, and they are not based on the same code. They also have different historical roots, and while Linux has some Unix-like characteristics, Windows is not derived from Unix.

1. Windows:

• The core of the Windows operating system is known as the Windows NT kernel. Windows NT is a completely separate operating system family from Unix and Linux.
    • Windows NT was first released in 1993 with Windows NT 3.1 and has since evolved into various versions, including Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
    • Windows also has a legacy component known as the Windows Console, which is responsible for running command-line applications. The Windows Console is not Unix-based.
  2. Linux:

• Linux is a Unix-like operating system. It is based on the Linux kernel, which was developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991. The kernel is the core component of the operating system, and it communicates with hardware to manage resources and perform various tasks.
    • The user-space utilities and libraries used in Linux distributions often come from the GNU Project, which provides a wide range of Unix-like tools and software.
    • Linux distributions (such as Ubuntu, Fedora, and CentOS) use the Linux kernel and the GNU tools, among others, to create complete operating systems.

While Linux has Unix-like features and can be considered Unix-like, it is not derived from the original Unix operating system. Instead, it is a Unix-like system created independently. Unix, on the other hand, is the name of an earlier operating system family that influenced the design of Linux and many other operating systems.

In summary, Windows and Linux have different core architectures, and neither is based on the other. They have different design philosophies and are not derived from the Unix operating system, although Linux is Unix-like in its design and user interface.

-Ron :putercat